The imprisonment of a person can often be a worrying and distressing time; a person is at their most vulnerable when they are taken into custody. We understand the distress for you and your family in these circumstances, and we also know that it’s not always easy for prisoners to have access to professional advice and support whilst in custody. We are able to assist prisoners in settling their issues with the authorities and we provide legal guidance and support throughout this period.
Our Prison Law solicitors specialise in all aspects of Prison Law, including:
- Adjudications (a.k.a. ‘nickings’ for disciplinary behaviour).
- Assaults (e.g. by prison officers who have acted beyond their power)
- ‘Distress’ (potential claims under the Data Protection Act 1998)
- Governor Adjudications
- Independent Adjudications
- Healthcare issues
- Home Detention Curfews
- Judicial review
- Licence issues
- Lifer issues (Life sentences/imprisonment for public protection/paper reviews)
- Mandatory and independent drug testing
- Medical negligence
- Mental health issues
- Parole (including issues around delay in the Ministry of Justice and/or the Parole Board in dealing with the Parole Board hearing)
- Personal injury (prisoners are also owed a duty of care by the prison to ensure that their living accommodation and place of work is safe, if injury is caused by the fault of the prison)
- Resettlement issues
- Sentence calculation
- Sentence progression
- Sexual Offence Prevention Orders (SOPOs)
- Transfers and Allocations
We also assist with transfers to other prisons, often in order to be closer to loved ones, to prepare representations or to represent in an oral hearing, in relation to the reasons for any recall our experienced team can resolve.
We have video-link interview facilities available, to ensure swift contact with clients. We can represent our prisoner clients wherever they are based: our service is nationwide, although we are based in Birmingham and Leamington Spa.
Vienna Kang Advocates Prison Law team aims to provide a comprehensive service for prisoners throughout the West Midlands, Warwickshire and the rest of the UK.
Please contact our team of Prison Law solicitors in Birmingham and Leamington Spa if you have a case that you would like to discuss.