The Coronavirus pandemic has sadly caused immense strain on families, marriages and relationships. Here are some useful tips if you are considering starting divorce proceedings:
- A divorce is life changing decision. Consider marriage counselling. Take your time, consider the future, reflect and do not rush into making a decision;
- Take initial legal advice and understand your legal rights and responsibilities. Being aware of the divorce process will help you feel more in control and less anxious. Speak with 2 or 3 solicitors in order to find one you are comfortable with;
- Do your homework – get your paperwork together and draw up a list of your assets and debts;
- Locate your marriage certificate – this document will need to be filed at court with the divorce petition. If you have misplaced the original certificate, you will need to obtain a certified copy;
- Put your children first – consider where they are to live and the amount of time they will spend with each parent. Effective communication and building solid foundations at the beginning in your co-parenting journey can help your family for years to come;
- Check if you are eligible for benefits such as universal credit or a reduction in your council tax;
- Be tech savvy – consider changing your passwords on social media, email accounts and banking apps.
- Be IT savvy – exercise caution when posting details of your personal circumstances on social media as this may only serve to increase tensions.
- Consider speaking to a counsellor and getting professional help. Self-care is important.
- Consider any child maintenance obligations which you may have if you live apart from your children.
How can we help?
Our Principal Family Solicitor, Assmiea Hussain has many years’ experience advising clients and assisting them to make the best decisions for their future. For a no-obligation confidential chat to see how we can help you, call 0121 726 9116 or get in touch with Ash by email firstname.lastname@example.org.